“The fifty students who participated loved every minute of the session and the Student Council President believed that the group became more cohesive because of the fun they had together. The second session was with a smaller group of Grade 9 Gifted students whose social interaction needed improvement. Following that session, their teachers noticed a difference in their ability to communicate with each other. I am certain you will be as satisfied as we were with the Living Rhythm facilitator’s professionalism and enthusiasm.” Helene Green Principal, William Lyon Mackenzie, CI
“Each and every class enjoyed their experience thoroughly and it was a pleasure to have you at our school for two days. Living Rhythm is a fabulous program that I would recommend for any grade level.” Ms. Kat Osen Grade 3 teacher and Event Organizer, Cameron Public School
What is Rhythm School?
Rhythm School is a hands-on participatory event that provides group facilitated drum and rhythm circles that are designed to:
- meet the requirements of the general Ontario Curriculum as well as the curriculum for Music
- offer introduction to beat and rhythm
- help to build familiarity with world percussion
- focus on diversity
- explore different ways of communicating
- help develop listening skills
Rhythm School is offered for all grade levels, day cares, student councils, school committees or staff programs and leadership/team building workshops.
What is a drum circle?
- A drum circle allows you to interact and communicate with a group of people through the language of music and rhythm
- At a Living Rhythm drum circle, each participant is provided an instrument ( hand drums and percussion instruments) and led through different rhythmic activities
- You don’t have to be rhythmically inclined or have a musical background to benefit from the experience
Through drumming and playing percussion instruments, participants will engage in a fun activity that builds spirit, community and group cooperation skills while meeting specific learning outcomes. Living Rhythm workshops help to instill a feeling of unity and team work while embracing and empowering the individual. We cater to small and large groups. We bring the instruments to you!
LIVING RHYTHM programs promote self-empowerment, creativity and positive self-expression. Through making music and rhythm together as a group, children engage in a fun activity that contributes to:
- the school and community quality of life.
- promoting higher-order thinking skills.
- an understanding of our cultural heritage as well as other past and present cultures.
- sensitivity (“feeling intelligence”).
- promoting kinesthetic and motor development.
- teamwork and cohesiveness.
- creativity and individuality.
- fostering discipline and commitment.
- a therapeutic outlet for human beings.
- success in life.
Our workshops focus on:
- Identifying examples of beat in daily life
- Distinguishing between beat and rhythm
- Distinguishing between higher and lower pitched sounds
- Creating rhythm patterns
- Call and response
- Singing familiar songs in tune and in unison
- Exploring instruments and sounds from various cultures
- Singing and playing expressively
- Communicating thoughts and feelings in various manners
- Recognizing the importance of each individual’s achievements and how that adds to the unity of the whole