WHAT SYLVAN OFFERS:
From LEGO® Robotics to Coding and Game Design, Sylvan Learning can provide engaging, hands-on learning based around S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math). These curriculum enrichment programs are part of the NEW SYLVAN EDGE platform. Parents, educators, coaches, or community organizers are welcome to inquire about this NEW EDGE Program which is introduced and led by a trained facilitator who is experienced in teaching the elementary grades. These EDGE programs are portable so that they can be made available to public and private schools as well as local community groups. Studies show that giving children fun, hands-on learning with S.T.E.M. today can ensure they have the skills they need for tomorrow! The exciting LEGO® ROBOTICS & CODING programs that we offer have four different levels which are suitable for elementary aged students. As they are versatile and modular in nature, they can be adapted to many different age groups and periods of time.
WHY BUILD LEGO® ROBOTS?
Looking for new activities in the Guelph area to inspire the students? Three words: Robotics for Kids! Robotics for Kids uses fun, hands-on projects to get the child’s creative juices flowing. The student will learn how to build and program robots with LEGO® bricks and software — all while making friends, developing new skills and having a great time with S.T.E.M. For many students, robotics class is a highlight of their week! To fully engage and challenge the aspiring engineer, computer programmer or scientist, we have several robotics programs available:
- Grades 1-5: Robotics 101 and 102
- Grades 4-8: Robotics 201 and 202
- Unique S.T.E.M. curriculum. While the student is having a blast creating robotics, you’ll know he or she is learning practical S.T.E.M. skills. (Just imagine how these new-found skills could inspire the child’s future!)
- Creative problem solving. In each Robotics for Kids class, the student participates in creative and challenging activities that encourage a love of science, technology and engineering at an early age.
- Fun, hands-on activities. Our interactive exercises engage kids hands, as well as their minds — great for children who learn in different ways.
- Ongoing communication. We keep you up-to-speed on the robotics and S.T.E.M. skills the student is learning and what to expect next.
BLAST INTO BIGGER FUN WITH GAME DESIGN!
Coding for Kids is an innovative course featuring video game design and computer programming for students in grades 3-8. These fun courses are perfect for students who have great imaginations, who like figuring out how things work or who simply love technology. In Coding for Kids, the student will have a blast creating video games and animating stories. He or she will learn the following cool skills along the way: basic coding and programming, problem solving, logic, physics and more! At Sylvan Learning of Guelph – Ontario, we offer several Coding for Kids courses for the aspiring programmer including Game Design 101 and 102. There is no previous programming experience needed to take Game Design 101. It’s a great way to get students psyched about learning cool S.T.E.M. skills.
HOW CODING FOR KIDS WORKS:
Every class has a distinct objective and outcome, so the future computer whiz will work toward a goal and feel a great sense of accomplishment. During each session students will:
- Learn how to create characters, animations, sounds and special effects using kid-friendly Tynker™ technology
- Develop mini-stories and build the skills to design a final video game that he or she can play with friends.
- Experiment and troubleshoot on his or her programming project and develop important problem solving, logic and computational skills.
- Collaborate with other students by challenging and learning from each other, making friends along the way.
GET STARTED TODAY! Want to learn more on how we could bring S.T.E.M. to the child’s learning? Call us at (519) 823 – 5711 or email email@example.com to inquire about regular centre courses, after school programs, summer camps, and school demos!