The Museums of Burlington consists of two historic sites: Ireland House Museum, and Joseph Brant Museum. Ireland House was built between 1835 - 1837 by one of Burlington's earliest settlers, Joseph Ireland. Joseph began with 100 acres of farmland and grew his holdings to 1,065 acres by 1869, one of the largest farms in Nelson Township. Four generations of Ireland family members occupied the home until the last owner, Marie Ireland Bush, passed and left the house, land, and artifacts to the City of Burlington to be turned into a museum. Restorations to the house have reclaimed missing elements of former times, bringing the Museum back to its feeling of a period home and farm. Joseph Brant Museum is a replica of the original homestead of Joseph Brant ‘Thayendanegea’ (1742-1807), Burlington's first citizen. In 1798, the Mohawk and British Captain was granted 3,450 acres at the ‘head-of-the-lake’ (Burlington Bay) by King George III, awarded for his services to the Crown during the Seven Years War, and the American Revolution. Over the years, the Museum has added a number of important acquisitions to the collection, including personal artifacts owned and used by Joseph Brant and the Eileen Collard Collection of Historic Costume and Textiles. Committed to the preservation of Burlington’s past, the Joseph Brant Museum is a place for exploring a wealth of cultural traditions, issues, and ideas that inspire within and beyond our borders.